Rites of May is almost here! Join us on May 20 from 11:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m at Kenwood Mall and Kovler Gyms! This massive All Schools event celebrates the year at Lab, with food, carnival games, community service activities, cultural and creativity booths, student performances and more. Check out what won our food, games, and T-shirt polls!
Date: Saturday, May 20
Time: 11:30 a.m.–4 p.m.
Location: Kenwood Mall and Kovler Gyms, Historic Campus
- The festival will include:
- Over 20 games and activities, suitable for three-year-olds through high school students
- An exhibition space, with tables run by parents and students, showcasing cultural traditions, community service projects, and makerspace activities
- A Maypole parade, with the opportunity to make your own costumes
- Student performances throughout the day
- A bike ride through the Hyde Park community. Separate registration required.
- A variety of food options from around the world (Food sales from 12:00-2:30)
And please stay for the HS Play, “The Drowsy Chaperone”! Performances are May 18, 19, 20 at 7:30 p.m.. Tickets are $10 and available before the show at Sherry Lansing Theater.
New this year is a flat entrance fee for access to all games and activities; these fees go to subsidizing the cost of the event. These entry tickets give you UNLIMITED access to games and activities; no more tickets per ride or play! Please note: Food, t-shirts, and tickets to the High School play are not included. $25 at the door covers the entire family ($20 for families of two). Individual tickets for unaccompanied students may be bought for $10. Please also consider sponsoring a ticket for members of Lab’s extended community, our High Jump and U of C Charter Schools families.
There are many ways to become involved:
- Volunteer! We need 100s of volunteers to make the day successful. Please consider giving an hour of your time. If you are a student, we encourage you to sign up to run the carnival games.
- Host a booth or perform! Parents, student clubs, and performers to fill out our exhibition space. If you are interested in having booth to represent a cultural tradition, community service campaign, or makerspace activity, sign up here. If you would like to perform, please contact Tracey Quinn.
- Wear any vintage Rites of May T-shirts the week of May 15th! Please note this year’s limited edition T-shirt will be sold only at the event.
Check e-News and the Lab Parents’ Association website for an updated schedule of activities in the coming weeks.