This massive, all-schools event celebrates its 49th year at Lab, with food, inflatables for all ages, community service activities, cultural and creativity booths, student performances and more. The event takes place on the Historic Campus, in Kenwood Mall, Sunny and Kovler Gyms, and Scammon Garden.
We welcome every member of the Lab community to come together and enjoy the day.
- Volunteer! We need hundreds of volunteers to make the day a success. Please sign up to give hour or two. Middle and High School students can also help, and will receive $5 in event food tickets. Sign up for a slot here.
- Contribute a dessert! We are looking for families or students to donate a dessert (preferably representative of cultural, ethnic, family heritage, but all desserts are appreciated) to be sold at Rites of May. Interested families should contact Farah Cheema.
- Perform! We are looking for parents, student clubs, and performers. If you are interested in setting up a booth to represent a cultural tradition, community service campaign, or makerspace activity, or if you would like to perform, sign up here.
- Parade and dance! All Lab students, parents, and faculty are welcome to march in the Spring Parade and join the procession toward the Maypole ritual. Sign up here.
- Buy tickets and t-shirts! Purchase these in the ESH, Blaine or High School lobbie from May 14–18 (before/after school). Advance tickets are $20 per family; At the event tickets are $25 per family. Tickets include access to everything—cultural and creativity booths, student performances, inflatables, and the Spring Parade and Maypole ritual.
Middle and High School students can purchase a single student ticket for $10 each. No drop-offs for Lower School or ESH students. T-shirts (children and adult sizes) are $20 each. Food and drink tickets will be sold at the event.
Schedule of events for Saturday, May 19
- 10 a.m. Pre-Rites of May Lower School Bike Ride—sign up here and meet in front of Blaine Hall
- 11 a.m. Check-in begins (Kovler gym, ground floor)
- 11 a.m.–noon Student performances (Upper Kovler)
- 11 a.m.–4 p.m.Global Café international foods open (Upper Sunny), inflatables open (Kenwood Mall and Lower Kovler), cultural and creative booths open (Upper Kovler)
- Noon Spring parade and Maypole ritual starts (Scammon Garden)
- 12:30 p.m. Director Charlie Abelmann’s remarks (Scammon Garden)
- 1–4 p.m. Student performances (Upper Kovler)
- 4 p.m. Rites of May ends
- 7:30 p.m. High School Spring Musical “Pippin” (Sherry Lansing Theatre)*
*Tickets for the High School Musical are sold separately.