Please consider joining the Parents Association Board by expressing your interest in serving for two years, 2019–2021 as an ESH Council member. Please see the job description below. If interested, please contact Mariana Ingersoll .
Earl Shapiro Hall Council
The ESH Council is made up of six parents with children in Nursery/Kindergarten School and Primary School. These include Nursery 3, Nursery 4, Kindergarten, Grade 1, and Grade 2. The council works closely with the N/K Principal and the PS Principal.
The role of the ESH Council is to:
● Build community among ESH parents outside of individual classrooms
● Support teachers and the administration in daily activities
● Help enhance the learning experiences of N/K and PS children
● Work with the PA in representing the position of N/K and PS parents as the school strives to achieve and maintain an excellent educational experience for students.
● Help plan, organize and promote events
While Room Parents (non elected) are specific to cultivating community within the classroom to support their specific teacher and students, the PA Council is the liaison between all classrooms and across schools. The ESH Council plays a pivotal role in welcoming new parents into the Lab Community.
The ESH Council will fulfill its duties by budgeting, organizing and implementing events and programs throughout the year. These ESH-specific events/programs include:
● New Parent Welcome Program
○ Lemonade Welcome (spring event to welcome next fall new families)
○ New Parent Orientations
○ Family Mentoring Program
○ New Parent Reception (fall)
● Welcome Back Breakfast Reception during first week of school
● Assist with ESH carline during first week of school
● Parents’ Nights
● Picture Day
● Grants for ESH teachers to enhance curriculum and community building
● Guest speaker or curriculum information nights, as desired
● Teacher appreciation meals
● Social events and grade level events
● Mix and Mingle Parent Events
The ESH Council also participates in school-wide activities sponsored by the PA, which may include events such as Rites of May, ESH Carline Assistance, Book swap, Picture Day, Fan Days, and PA Speaker Series.
ESH Council members meet monthly with the Principals. In addition to monthly Board meetings, each council member is asked to sit on one of the PA Standing Committees: Finance, Communication, and Nominating. One junior and senior member will also act as liaison to the PA Executive Committee.
Time Commitment (ESH Council):
● On average 5-8 hours per month by phone or e-mail to organize, implement or delegate events
● On-campus Principal meetings (1 X month), plus PA Board (1 X month), Speaker Series and Standing Committee meetings (1 X month), and the Council’s own events
● The beginning and end of the school year is typically heavy with events and activities and may require more on-campus time. Responsibilities should be shared among the six council members so that work is evenly distributed and manageable.
● If a council member’s participation is deemed minimal and attendance is less than 75% of all scheduled meetings of the above mention, a council member may be asked to step down.
There are three ESH council positions open for the 2019-2020 year that will carry until through the 2020-2021 year.